Does what you’re writing now seem somewhat familiar? Are you constantly reusing the same words, phrases, or imagery to describe something? Do your characters sound alike? Are you mindlessly producing thousands of words per day? If you’ve answered yes to any one of these, then perhaps you’re stuck in a rut.
This week’s assignment is to try something different.
- If you normally write on a computer, instead try paper.
- If you normally write with a pen, use a pencil.
- If you normally write in solitude, try a coffee shop or write alongside other writers.
- If you normally write in the morning, write something at night.
- If you normally drink coffee when you write, instead drink something exotic.
- Have you ever written while wearing Groucho Marx glasses or clown shoes?